For any of our Coding Programs
For In-person class schedule
Coding is a method of communicating with computers and these days computers pretty much operate most things around us. Coding is important to learn because it teaches you important skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and creativity. Coding also teaches kids the ability to stick with a problem and work on finding a solution. Coding allows for experimentation as there are many ways to get to the end solution. Coding is also a skill that is valued in the workforce.
K-ROCKETS coding curriculum uses a progressive approach that applies engaging, real-world scenarios and games to teach coding concepts. Based on the age and existing coding skill level of the student, we
We focus on teaching coding skills and introduce students to different programming languages appropriate for their age and experience level. Our instructors are carefully selected with computer science and teaching background.
What we Offer
Our curriculum is designed to meet individual interests and strengths. Our coding classes are available in virtual and in-person options. Our coding lessons are available for groups or 1-on-1 so that each child gets the attention that they deserve.
Programs & Tuition:
Select one of the following:
Recommended for Ages 6+
– Motion, Looks, Sound, Events, Control, Sensing, Operators, Variables
– Loops, repeat, rotating turn degrees, music extension, keystroke control
– Imagine and create your story with backdrop, characters, sounds
– If/Then conditions, variable to score, add obstacles, subtract points, make a 2 person game, video sensing using built in webcam
– Explore sound library, develop patterns, use beatbox sounds in a loop, record short sounds to play, interactive dance
– Animate a Character, introduce X Y Coordinates, move character, talking animation with more than one character
– Code characters to interact, broadcast, hide/show, switch backdrops, make characters have a conversation
– Introduce mouse control in pong game, sound/color effects, multi-player game
– Video sensing using characters, playing ball, adventure and conversations
– and much more…
Recommended for Ages 9+
– Introduction to Python, installing Python and PyGame Zero, introduction to IDLE (shell and editor windows), Introduction to colors in the code, installing IDLE
– Variables, using numbers
– integers and floats, working with strings, making lists
– Decision making, comparison, boolean expressions, If, Else, Elif, for, while, infinite loops, functions, errors, bug fixes
- Game flow chart, graphics in Pygame (X Y Coordinates)
– Boolean variable, scoring variable, two actors, pass keyword, functions: draw, string, randint, time_up, game_over, update, draw, Pygame zero tool: Clock
- List, global and local variables, functions: line, on_mouse_down, collide point, print, string, time, round
– Python Random Module, constants, global and local variables, custom function, lists, animate function
- Create custom functions, plan the quiz interface, main_box, move_ip, list, score, timers, time_left, add questions, list for questions,game_over
– Create custom functions, create global variables, reacting to mouse clicks, displaying and updating scores, calculations, actor animations, scrolling across screens, handle collisions, file handling, splitting strings,
- Create custom functions, create countdown, adding music, import module, global variables, resetting actors, mouse clicks, displaying actors, recursive functions, event handling, scoring
- Create custom functions, create lists, draw function, global variables, update function, points, collision, velocity function
– Use arrow keys to control actors, scoring, counting, updates, clock function, dictionaries, animate actors, collisions, motion, Looks, Sound, Events, Control, Sensing, Operators, Variables
– and a lot of fun!
Recommended for Ages 10+
– Build a Web Page, coding web pages, creating, saving and opening HTML files
– Basic construct of an html document, HTML – tags (paragraphs, breaks, images), key things to consider when writing html
– Make a simple webpage using HTML, Add text and images to the webpage
– Layout and design webpage using CSS
– Build a website
– Create a Password, intro to hyperlinks, linking web pages
– Building a web based App, Document Object Model (DOM) API, adding DOM to the App
– Build a to-do-list App, adding tasks to the App, removing elements from the App
– Removing HTML element, Saving to-do-list items in the App using an API
– Create your own to-do-list web based App
– Plan a Route, adding content using a web, embed content, embed a google map, plan a route using google map
– Create your own route app using web based APIs
– Use game loop to stop the game, CSS to show and hide characters, animate characters
– Design game with CS, use images for characters
– Make the game harder and create your own game
– Build your own website, intro to wireframes
– CSS properties, CSS color valuweb page layouts
– Host your own website
– So much learning while having fun!
Select one or more of the following:
A personalized schedule will be provided upon completion of a pre-assessment to identify the right class for your child.
We will follow Ellington (CT) Public School closing schedules. No classes will occur on the days schools are closed.